Sounds like it’s too good to be true? Well, it’s not. Follow these simple techniques and not only will you reduce your stress, and make dealing with those big life events a little less traumatic, but you will improve your overall health and well being and guard your brain against the effects of aging at the same time!
1. Drink Water – yes, you hear it all the time, so why aren’t you doing it? Water keeps your body hydrated, your brain nourished and flushes out those unwanted toxins. Your skin, hair and body will thank you for it. 64 ounces a day is the recommended amount, but you can add some green or ayurvedic teas or herbal tisanes into that count.
2. Get outside! – Pick a time of day when the sun is not at it’s peak, such as early morning or later in the evening, and soak up some sun. Vitamin D is lacking in some 90% of Americans. Best way to get it is to be outside, sans sunblock. But don’t bake yourself in the peak rays. Metabolize calcium and keep those bones strong!
3. Yoga! – Use it or lose it! You don’t have to be able to bend yourself into a pretzel shape to benefit from some gently stretching and the meditation will calm your mind. Even if it’s just one stretch per day and 5 minutes of calm time, you will feel the benefits within a couple of days, and the long term benefits are amazing. Try learning the Salute to the Sun, and practice it daily.
4. Be social! – Take yourself outside of the stressful situations by doing something totally unrelated. Learn to dance, go to a class, paint or just meet others for coffee. Leave the subject matter at home, and let yourself be free of the burdens. Organize a card or chess tournament for your friends, only rules are that positive thinking and non stressful subjects are the only ones on the agenda.
5. Exercise! – the least little bit of exercise will make a huge difference to how you feel about yourself. It leads to better self esteem, better health and improved brain power. If you can’t manage that 30 minutes every other day, don’t give up. Throw on some music and move around. You’ve already done your stretching with your yoga, so this should be easy. For women, bellydancing is great. You feel younger and stronger and lets face it, wiggling around with some floaty scarves on in the privacy of your own home can release that inner diva. Who cares if you have more belly than dance? Who is going to see? Just do it! Not for you? Then cowboy up with some linedancing or just pick anything. As long as you move, it’s fine.
Easy as that! Follow these 5 simple daily tasks and you will relax, grow stronger and more healthy each day. Problems won’t go away, but you will be able to face them and deal with them better than you ever thought possible. Enjoy!